Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and went to Saltillo, Mexico the next year. Her home church, then called Salado Baptist Church of Christ, commissioned her. She taught at the Madero Institute and other day and boarding schools for girls. Due to the unstable conditions of the Mexican Revolution, she and other missionaries returned home in 1910. Addie worked with Mexican refugees and others in need until her death in 1921 and is remembered as a faithful, loving teacher and leader.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13500.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 30° 56.7′ N, 97° 32.284′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. It is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 S Main St, Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kate and Zachary Taylor (here, next to this marker); Church Bell (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church of Salado (within shouting distance of this marker); The Davis Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (about 400 feet away); Old Anderson Place (about 500 feet away); Salado Creek (about 700 feet away); Salado (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,015 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on August 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.