Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
College of Arts and Sciences
Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851. On August 26, 2000, rededicated Oliver-Barnard Hall in honor of alumni and friend John T. Oliver Jr., trustee of The University of Alabama, and established as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House. During his 28 years on the Board of Trustees (1971-1999), Oliver played a key role in the selection of four chancellors of The University of Alabama System, three University presidents, and seven presidents at sister institutions in Birmingham and Huntsville. Contractor: N.C. Morgan Construction Co. Architect: Barganier Davis Sims
Erected by University of Alabama.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 33° 12.716′ N, 87° 32.818′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site Of Franklin Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Round House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gorgas House (within shouting distance of this marker); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Storrs Cadet Troop (about 300 feet away); Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 300 feet away); Rotunda Plaza (about 300 feet away); The Gorgas-Manly Historic District (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . University of Alabama Campus Tour, Oliver-Barnard Hall. (Submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,315 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.