Mayesville in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Mayesville Story
A Railroad Town
As with many rural South Carolina towns, Mayesville grew up around a railroad depot. The Wilmington and Manchester Railroad built the depot in 1853 on land owned by Matthew Peterson Mayes, known to his friends and others as "Squire." Squire Mayes was born in Virginia in 1794 and settled in the Sumter District with his marriage to a local girl, Martha Bradley. He later married Henrietta Shaw and built a home on land near where the town of Mayesville, named in his honor, would grow. He invested in the town and encouraged its prosperity.
(Lower left text)
Recovering from the Raveges of War
During the Civil War, Union troops swept through Sumter District heading toward the war's end game in Bentonville, NC. In Mayesville, they discovered rail cars and destroyed these as well as the depot, rails and a bridge. The town recovered from the ravages of the war and by the turn of the 20th century had become a prosperous agricultural center for this part of Sumter County. It boasted several businesses including a hotel, two banks, furniture and hardware
Mayesville's Ebb and Flow
Mayesville's prosperity began to unravel when the highway to Sumter was paved in 1922. This event, combined with the unseen enemy of the Great Depression, saw the town's commercial center slowly erode. Today, the town is experiencing a revival. We hope you will take time to walk our streets and heritage trail and learn more about our town and its great citizens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 59.214′ N, 80° 12.483′ W. Marker is in Mayesville, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on South Main Street East near Liberty Street, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mayesville SC 29104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Mary McLeod Bethune (approx. 0.4 miles away); Beulah School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Rev. John Leighton Wilson, D.D. (approx. 4.6 miles away); Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church (approx. Concord Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Goodwill Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (approx. 6.1 miles away); " Ebenezer " (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Regarding The Mayesville Story. The Mayesville Historic District is notable for its representation of the cultural, commercial, and architectural development of a small nineteenth century South Carolina community. The district, which encompasses the western half of the town, contains a concentration of eighty properties that represent a broad range of late nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular architectural design, including commercial, residential (majority), and religious
examples. Architectural styles include Neo-Classical, Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Commercial, and Bungalow. The visual appearance of the district reflects the evolution of this small rural town that developed as the result of the changing economic forces brought about by the establishment of rail transportation and subsequent commercialization in the late 1800s. Unfortunately, since its nomination many properties have been demolished or altered significantly. Listed in the National Register July 16, 1979.(South
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,260 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.