Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ratcliff in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ratcliff CCC Camp

 
 
Ratcliff CCC Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
1. Ratcliff CCC Camp Marker
Inscription.  J.H. Ratcliff's 1880s sawmill and village here gave way to major timber industry operations that by the early 1930s had decimated Houston County's densest virgin forest. As part of federal efforts to restore the nation's natural resources, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp F-4-T was built at this site in 1933-34, and the Davy Crockett National Forest was established in this area in 1935. CCC workers constructed fire towers, built roads, developed an old sawmill pond into a public lake with recreational facilities, and planted about 3,00,000 trees. Ratcliff CCC Camp closed in 1941.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7035.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEnvironmentGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
 
Location. 31° 23.7′ N, 95° 8.448′ W. Marker is in Ratcliff, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
227, 0.2 miles north of State Highway 7, on the right when traveling north. In front of Davy Crockett National Forest Workcenter. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ratcliff TX 75858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ratcliff (approx. ¼ mile away); Four C Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hagerville Community (approx. 2.1 miles away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 2.1 miles away); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Kennard (approx. 3.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 3½ miles away); Pine Springs Campground (approx. 10.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ratcliff.
 
Ratcliff CCC Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
2. Ratcliff CCC Camp Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29454

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024