Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The fort was named in honor of John, Duke of Argyle, friend and patron of James Edward Oglethorpe, and was garrisoned by Captain McPherson with a detachment of Rangers.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 015-9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 31° 58.357′ N, 81° 22.603′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 144 and State Road 67, on the left when traveling south on U.S. 144. Located within Fort Stewart Military Installation. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hazen's Division at the Canoochee River (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort McAllister (approx. 4.1 miles away); "Dead Town" of Hardwicke (approx. 4.1 miles away); Courthouse Annex (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ways Station (approx. 4.4 miles away); Henry Ford at Richmond Hill (approx. 4˝ miles away); J. F. Gregory (approx. 4˝ miles away); Richmond Hill Veterans Monument (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,800 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.