Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall
Howe Hall Plantation, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Robert Howe, who came to S.C. in 1683. His first house here was later described as “tolerable.” Howe’s son Job (d. 1706) built a brick plantation house here once described as “commodious” but spent most of his time in Charleston. Howe served in the Commons House of Assembly 1696-1706 and was Speaker 1700-05. He died of yellow fever in 1706.
Howe Hall Plantation was later purchased by several planters, including Thomas Middleton in 1719 and Benjamin Smith in 1769. By the late antebellum period James Vidal owned it and other nearby plantations. During Reconstruction Vidal sold parcels to African American societies and to individual freedmen. This area became an African American farming community for many years. Dogwood Park was created here by the Goose Creek Recreation Commission in 1990.
Erected 2007 by the Goose Creek Recreation Commission. (Marker Number 8-41.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1683.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Hall Plantation (approx. ¼ mile away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1½ miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 1.6 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eighteen Mile House Tavern (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.