Tremont in Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Camp Cleveland
Opened in July 1862, the 35 1/2-acre site here in Brooklyn Township's University Heights served as the largest Civil War army camp of rendezvous, organization, and training in northeast Ohio. It was bordered by Hershel (now West 5th) and University (now West 7th) streets and Railway and Marquard avenues. A wartime high of 4,151 volunteers occupied the barracks here on December 5, 1862. Lieutenant William Dustin of the 19th Ohio Volunteer Artillery wrote, "It was a table land above the city and admirably suited to the use of a camp of instruction. It was as level as a floor and carpeted with grass. The capacious pine barracks held about 25 each of the battery's men." A total of 15,230 men trained here during the war--4.9 percent of the 310,646 enlistments in Ohio. More than 11,000 soldiers were discharged here at war's end. It closed in August 1865.
(Continued on other side)
A 320 bed pavilion-style hospital, designated as the United States General Hospital at Cleveland, occupied 3.76 acres on the southeast corner of W 5th Street and Jefferson Avenue. The hospital opened in December 1862; a total of 3,028 soldiers received care for gun shot wounds, illnesses, and diseases before it closed in July 1865, after the end of the Civil War. Some of the 91 deceased patients lie buried in the federally owned plots at Woodland Cemetery. All hospital and camp buildings were dismantled in September 1865, and the lumber and government equipment were sold at a public auction.
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Scotts Company - Founded by a Civil War Veteran, the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 74-70.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1862.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 41° 29.065′ N, 81° 41.254′ W. Marker was in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. It was in Tremont. It was at the intersection of University Road and West 10th Street, on the right when traveling east on University Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44113, United States of America.
We have been informed that this marker is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Regionally, this marker was on Ohio’s Lake Erie Shore and in the Western Reserve. It was also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it was in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it found itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location: A different marker also named Camp Cleveland (here, next to this marker); Weapon of War (within shouting distance of this marker); A Nation in Crises: A Community Responds (within shouting distance of this marker); Sokolowski's Overlook (approx. 0.2 miles away); Three Generations of Bridges (approx. Ό mile away); Industrial River Valley (approx. Ό mile away); The Cleveland Skyline (approx. 0.3 miles away); A History of Barrier Breakers (approx. 0.8 miles
away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,991 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on March 22, 2026, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 16, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.



