Heuchling in Lauf an der Pegnitz in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Ehemaliges Zollhaus
⎯⎯⎯
Former Customs House
1823 erbaut als Zollhaus
und Wohnung des Zöllners.
Erhebung von Durchgangszoll
bis 1923.
Former customs house. Built in 1823 as a customs house and residence of the customs officer. Transit tolls were collected here until 1923.
Erected by Old Town Friends of Lauf e.V. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 49° 30.788′ N, 11° 16.969′ E. Marker is in Lauf an der Pegnitz, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Heuchling. It is at the intersection of Hersbrucker Straße and Mangpl., on the right when traveling south on Hersbrucker Straße. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hersbrucker Str 3, Lauf an der Pegnitz BY 91207, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Ehemaliges Zollhaus vor dem Oberen Tor / Former Customs House in front of the Upper Gate (a few steps from this marker); Hersbrucker Tor / Hersbruck Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Jan Hus (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ehemaliges Kommunbrauhaus / Former Communal Brewhouse (about 150 meters away); Thomas Alva Edison (about 150 meters away); Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall (about 180 meters away); Kindergarten Alter Schulhof / Kindergarten Old Schoolyard (about 210 meters away); Ehemalige Pfarr- und Spitalkirche St. Leonhard / Former Parish and Hospital Church of St. Leonhard (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lauf an der Pegnitz.
Also see . . . Old Town Stroll Sign 12 – Former Customs House (German language). Excerpt (in translation):
Lauf lies on the golden road, which has been one of the most important trade and travel routes between Germany and its eastern neighbors since the Middle Ages.(Submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Emperor Charles IV expanded this connection between Bohemia and Nuremberg in the 14th century. At that time, the Lauf customs duty was also at its greatest importance. All goods were opened by the customs officer, inspected, and then resealed. This remained valid for all customs stations until the final destination, Prague.
This last remaining customs house stands in front of the city moat at the Hersbruck Gate, the so-called Zwinger. It was built in 1823. The customs officer, responsible for collecting tolls, lived here. Tolls were collected until 1923, as they were an important source of revenue for the city.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 11 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


