Heuchling in Lauf an der Pegnitz in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Lauf a. d. Pegnitz, Reichelsche Schleif
⎯⎯⎯
Lauf on the Pegnitz, Reichel Grinding Mill
Inscription.
32. Denkmalprämierung des Bezirks Mittelfranken 2007.
Schon seit 1464 sind in Lauf Schleifmühlen nachgewiesen. Auf einer Pegnitzinsel liegt die letzte noch erhaltene dieser Schleifmühlen, die nach ihrem letzten Besitzer so genannte „Reichelsche Schleif“. Sie war Teil der sogenannten Mauermühle, die 1915 abgebrannt ist.
Der schmale, zweigeschossige Ziegelsteinbau mit Satteldach ist wohl in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts entstanden. Seine technische Ausstattung stammt noch aus dieser Zeit. 1988 wurde der Schleifbetrieb hier eingestellt; das Gebäude diente danach als Lagerplatz. Bau und Ausstattung blieben glücklicherweise erhalten, wenngleich in sehr schlechtem Zustand.
Das Äußere gewann durch eine umfassende Fassadensanierung. Der beschädigte Zementputz wurde durch Kalkputz ersetzt, der für einen Bau in Wassernähe besser geeignet ist. Der Farbanstrich und der erneuerte Schriftzug folgen historischen Befunden. Fenster und Türen wurden repariert bzw. erneuert.
Natürlich war die meiste Arbeit an der technischen Ausstattung nötig. Nach umfangreichen Reinigungsarbeiten mussten zahlreiche Teile des hölzernen Mühlwerks ersetzt werden. Mit viel Gespür konnte dann der historische Betriebszustand des Mühlwerks wiederhergestellt werden. Die Altstadtfreunde Lauf haben die Sanierung dieses wichtigen Industriedenkmals in Angriff genommen, um die einmalige Ausstattung zu erhalten und die Mühle museal betreiben zu können. Die Maßnahme wurde mit viel Eigenleistung durchgeführt. Auch zahlreiche Spender haben beigetragen. So konnte ein kultur- und wirtschaftshistorisches Zeugnis für Lauf erhalten bleiben.
Blicke ins Innere
Das historische Mühirad
32nd Monument Preservation Award of the District of Middle Franconia, 2007
Grinding mills have been documented in Lauf since 1464. On an island in the Pegnitz stands the last surviving example of these grinding mills, known as the “Reichelsche Schleif,” named after its last owner. It was part of the so-called Mauermühle, which burned down in 1915.
The narrow, two-story brick building with a gabled roof was probably constructed in the second half of the 19th century. Its technical equipment also dates from this period. In 1988 grinding operations ceased here, and the building was later used as storage. Fortunately, both the structure and its equipment survived, although they were in very poor condition.
The exterior was improved through a comprehensive facade restoration. The damaged cement plaster was replaced with lime plaster, which is better suited for a building near water. The paintwork and renewed lettering follow historical evidence. Windows and doors were repaired or replaced. Most of the work, however, was required on the technical equipment. After extensive cleaning, numerous parts of the wooden mill mechanism had to be replaced.
With great care, the historic operating condition of the machinery was restored. The Altstadtfreunde Lauf undertook the restoration of this important industrial monument in order to preserve its unique equipment and operate the mill as a museum. Much of the work was carried out through voluntary effort, and many donors also contributed. In this way an important cultural and economic historical monument of Lauf could be preserved.
Views into the interior.
The historic mill wheel.
Erected by District of Middle Franconia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1464.
Location. 49° 30.612′ N, 11° 16.832′ E. Marker is in Lauf an der Pegnitz, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Heuchling. It is at the intersection of Höllgasse 17 and Leßnergasse, on the left when traveling west on Höllgasse 17. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Höllgasse 17, Lauf an der Pegnitz BY 91207, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Reichel’sche Schleif / Reichel Grinding Mill (here, next to this marker); Wassertores / Water Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Judenturm / Jewish Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Ehemalige Kunstmühle Schlicht / Former Schlicht Roller Mill (within shouting
distance of this marker); Schlicht'sche Kunstmühle und Schleifmühle Reichel / Schlicht Roller Mill and Reichel Grinding Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Liebesbriefe aus dem Forsthaus auf der Insel / Love Letters from the Forester’s House on the Island (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Früheres Forsthaus oder "Einspänn(ig)er-Haus" / Former Forester’s House or Einspänniger House (about 90 meters away); Wenzelschloß / Castle of St. Wenceslas (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lauf an der Pegnitz.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 10 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 26, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.




