Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
University of Alabama
Ordained by State constitution 1819
And established by
General Assembly 1820
Instruction Begun 1831
Unofficial Training School
Confederate Officers 1861-65
Destroyed by Federal Army
April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun 1867
and Reopened 1868.
Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1820.
Location. 33° 12.603′ N, 87° 32.779′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from University Boulevard west of 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located next to Denny Chimes on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denny Chimes (a few steps from this marker); The President's Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Alabama Civil War Memorial (about Rotunda Plaza (about 500 feet away); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 600 feet away); Storrs Cadet Troop (about 600 feet away); Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 600 feet away); Site Of Franklin Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,284 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.