Lancaster in Fairfield County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The History of Allen Chapel
Black settlers came to Lancaster as early as 1810. Because of segregation, blacks couldn't attend white churches and schools.
In 1814, Emmanuel Carpenter gave the black people a strip of land between Pearl Avenue and High Street. The Baptist denomination built a log cabin which stood in the center of what is now Walnut Street but were unable to sustain it. In 1825, Scipio Smith, a former Virginia slaved, along with other black citizens, formed the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. Scipio, a one-legged tinsmith, became the first minister.
In 1869, the AME congregation received help from the City of Lancaster and other private citizens to build a permanent two-story building that faced High Street. The first floor was used for a school and the second floor was the sanctuary for church services. A quit-claim deed was granted tot he congregation by the City on November 19th, 1889. The deed stated the land could not be sold and must be used for church and/or school purposes only.
In 1903, a parsonage was built at the corner of Pearl Avenue and Walnut Street (this was later razed in 1986). In 1914, the church was moved to its present location and rotated to face Walnut Street. It also underwent a remodel on the first floor. The school area transitioned to a Sunday School and dining/social room. The two rooms once used as living quarters for the ministers were turned into a kitchen and an office. The church was also the social center of the black community until the late 1960s with the Civil Rights Movement.
In 1981, the members of the church legally withdrew from the AME denomination. The AME conference took the members to court to gain ownership over the property and the church. The case was ultimately settled in the United States Supreme Court which ruled on the quit-claim deed.
In 1991, church trustees closed the church without notice. Black and white citizens with the leadership of attorney Terre Vandevoort went to the Fairland County Court to force the trustees to reopen the church. In 1993, the court ruled the church could not be sold, again, according to the quit-claim deed. This decision was upheld in both the Ohio Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. A three-member board was appointed by the court to assist in the re-establishment of the church. The church was renamed Allen Chapel Church. It is now open to all people regardless of race, to learn more about the word of God.
[Captions:]
Scipio Smith
Former Virginia slave and founder of the AME Church in 1825.
Youth Choir
Choir on the front steps of Allen Chapel circa 1943.
Inside View
Congregation of Allen Chapel in the 2nd floor sanctuary circa 1946.
Wedding
Hawkins-Gooden wedding circa 1949.
Sunday School
AME Sunday School Class circa 1958.
Club Meeting
Members of the "Say and Do" Club meet at the church.
NAACP
The NAACP meets at the chapel circa 1969.
Parsonage
A parsonage was built in 1903 and used by ministers. It was razed in 1986.
Member Photo
The 6th generation of members pose on the front steps of the church in 1992.
Congregation
Congregation with Reverend Joseph Yancy in 1992.
Chosen Few Choir
Left to Right: Valeria Saunders, Lori Hall, Alan Saunders, Shelly Fletcher, Dollie Hall, Linda Fisher, Deidra Hall
Christening
Reverend Bennett christens a baby in 1998.
Saunders Family
Saunders Family with current pastor Evan Saunders (at left) 2021.
Erected 2022 by Fairfield County Foundation; Fairfield County Heritage Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 19, 1889.
Location. 39° 42.679′ N, 82° 35.903′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Ohio, in Fairfield County. It is on East Walnut Street west of Pearl Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 E Walnut St, Lancaster OH 43130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Hocking Hills and in the Columbus Metropolitan Area. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Another marker is no longer nearby. The Ohio Military Hall of Fame (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been confirmed missing).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2026, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 19 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2026, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

