Near Edgewood in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Highland Cemetery
Established by 1894, this burial ground serves the Highland community. In the 1880s, pioneering farmers settled the area after construction of a road which allowed easier access to markets. In 1889, John and Elizbaeth Valentine deeded property for a school building, which would also serve as a place of worship for Methodist and Church of Christ congregations. Community leaders instrumental in establishing a school community and in constructing the first building included J. J. Bateman, D. J. Newborn, Z. B. Daugherty, W. H. Palmer, U. L. Martin, John Hall and Joe Hamlet, along with John Valentine. The school moved in 1921, but the original site continued to be used as a burial ground.
The oldest dated burial here, dating to 1894, is of Grover Dillard. Also buried here are veterans of conflicts dating to the Civil War and Highland pioneers, including members of the Bateman, Batts, Hall, Palmer, Martin and Thompson families. Many of the interred were farmers, reflecting the rural nature of the settlement. At first, cotton was the area's primary crop; by the late 1930s, tomatoes became the main crop. Farmers also produced sweet potatoes, watermelons, and other fruits and vegetables. By the late 1950s, hay and cattle became major industries in this area, as throughout Van Zandt County.
Highland Cemetery features obelisks, vertical stones, a Woodmen of the World marker and curbing. In 1959, Highland Memorial Association organized to care for the cemetery. Today, this cemetery endures as one of the few remaining vestiges of the Highland community.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15900.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 32° 37.728′ N, 95° 52.985′ W. Marker is near Edgewood, Texas, in Van Zandt County. It is on County Road 3204 Ό mile south of Farm to Market Road 859, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3601 County Road 3204, Edgewood TX 75117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Slaughter School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Barren Ridge (approx. 3½ miles away); Josι Francisco Calahorra y Saenz (approx. 3.7 miles away); New Hope Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Edgewood (approx. 4½ miles away); Blackwell House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Cheatham Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); William H. Humphries Home (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. This page has been viewed 17 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.

