Minot in Ward County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Courthouse
County courthouses in the United States were built to house county administrators and to provide jailing services for convicted criminals in that county. Courthouses have been built in many shapes and sizes. Some were made entirely of stone and marble with grand hallways and plush office spaces while others, like Ward County's first courthouse, were built in order to cheaply house local government until the choice of a permanent site for a new county courthouse could be made.
Having the county seat in your town meant your community was headed for prosperity. Competition between towns for county seats was intense and at times included illegal activities. Voter fraud, courthouse arson, record theft, and small local battles occurred frequently during many a county's early history.
To meet the rapid growth of some counties, numerous North Dakota courthouses played many roles, serving not only as places to settle legal issues but also as dancehalls, churches, meeting places, and schools.
Ward County was named for the Honorable J.P. Ward, a member of the North Dakota Territorial legislature of 1885. The organizers of the county declared, "the three most public places in Ward County shall be at the post-offices in St. Carl and Burlington and at the store of J.L. Colton in Burlington." County business was done in these places until the new courthouse was used for the first time in 1885.
Administrators in Ward County used the first Imperial Ward County Court House for 6 years until a new courthouse was accepted in October of 1891. The money to complete the first Imperial Ward County Court House was completely funded through local taxes and was done for approximately $100.
Ward County Historical Society
Erected by Ward County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 48° 13.93′ N, 101° 15.812′ W. Marker was in Minot, North Dakota, in Ward County. It could be reached from East Burdick Expressway. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1921 E Burdick Expy, Minot ND 58701, United States of America.
We have been informed that this marker is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Regionally, this marker was in North Dakota’s Bakken Oil Patch. It was also in the American Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it was in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it found itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location: Private Gotfred Jensen (approx. 0.6 miles away); Private Willis H. Downs (approx. 0.6 miles away); Private Otto Boehler (approx. 0.6 miles away); Corporal Frank L. Anders (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lt. Colonel Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 0.6 miles away); Private Charles P. Davis (approx. 0.6 miles away); Private Thomas Sletteland (approx. 0.6 miles away); Private John B. Kinne (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minot.
More about this marker. The courthouse was located on the grounds of the North Dakota State Fairgrounds from 1953 until April 10, 2019 when it was moved to the new Pioneer Village Museum in Burlington ND. This marker on the door was moved but this blue sign was not moved.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 13 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

