Quincy in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gadsden, Florida's fifth county, was formed in 1823. It once ran from Georgia to the Gulf of Mexico, from the Suwannee River to the Apalachicola River. Quincy, the county seat, was incorporated in 1828. Previously known as Middle Florida, the new county was named for Capt. James Gadsden, Army Engineer and later diplomat, who campaigned in this area under Andrew Jackson in 1818. Capt. Gadsden designed and built the fort on the Apalachicola River which bears his name, and in 1855 was responsible for the Gadsden Purchase which completed the boundaries of the continental United States. Indian Wars troubled this frontier area until 1840. Before the Civil War the county was noted for cotton, sugar cane, and tobacco. Later farmers also produced rice, wine grapes, livestock, and timber. By 1890 shade-grown Cuban tobacco had become the major industry, with production from field to finished cigar. Such famous brands as White Owl and King Edward were made here. Other important industries include the mining of fuller's earth and the growing of tomatoes. Gadsden County has also provided Governors, Supreme Court Chief Justices, and numerous other high
Erected 1978 by Gadsden County Historical Commission and Department of State. (Marker Number F-286.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Forts and Castles • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 30° 35.3′ N, 84° 34.583′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is on East Jefferson Street (U.S. 90) just east of North Adams Street, on the left when traveling east. Near sidewalk in front of county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 E Jefferson St Quincy, FL 32351, Quincy FL 32351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gadsden County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gadsden County Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quincy State Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pat Munroe House (about 600 feet away); The White House / Pleasants Woodson White (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Quincy AcademySt. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Also see . . . James Gadsden - Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 17, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,190 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 11, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.