East End in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia — Oceania
Town Hall Foundation Stone
It was unveiled by his excellency the Governor of Victoria, Major-General Sir Rohan Delacombe.
K.C.M.G. K.B.E. C.B. D.S.O. K.St.J. on
29th November 1967.
R.T.A. Talbot J.P.
Lord Mayor
(The building was designed by Messrs Reid and Barnes, Architects & Surveyors, and erected in 1867-70 by Messrs Lawrence & Cain, Contractors and Builders)
Erected 1967.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is November 29, 1867.
Location. 37° 48.919′ S, 144° 58.002′ E. Marker is in Melbourne, Victoria. It is in East End. It is at the intersection of Collins Street and Collins Street and Swanston Street, on the left when traveling east on Collins Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90/130 Swanston Street, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Oceania, Australasia, the Pacific Ocean, South Pacific, the Pacific Rim, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Melbourne Town Hall (here, next to this marker); The Athenaeum Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Melbourne Athenaeum (within shouting distance of this marker); Scots' Church and Assembly Hall (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dame Nellie Melba (1861-1931) (about 150 meters away); You Should Have Seen It (about 180 meters away); The Victorian Scottish Regiment (about 180 meters away); The Scots Church (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Also see . . . Melbourne Town Hall history.
Construction of the first town hall, a modest brick building, began in 1850, but a labour shortage brought about by gold discoveries in 1851 delayed completion until 1854. This building was demolished in the mid-1860s.(Submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria.)
On 29 November 1867 the Duke of Edinburgh laid the foundation stone for a new town hall which was completed in 1870. The new building was officially opened by the Governorof Victoria on 9 August 1870.
The tower was named Prince Alfred s Tower after the Duke of Edinburgh who, on his second visit to Melbourne in 1869, laid a capital on one of the columns of the town hall clock tower. The Duke was the first official guest in the soon-to-be-completed town hall.
The portico on the Swanston Street frontage of the building was added in 1887.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. This page has been viewed 16 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

