East End in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia — Oceania
Melbourne Town Hall
Melbourne Town Hall
This building, designed by Reed and Barnes, Architects, was begun in 1867 on the site of the original Melbourne Town Hall. The clocktower, completed in 1869, was named in the honour of the visit of Prince Alfred. The design was completed in 1887 with the addition of the portico over the footpath. The fine masonry and classical detailing express the civic pride of "Marvellous Melbourne".
City of Melbourne State Bank Victoria
Erected by City of Melbourne & State Bank Victoria.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 37° 48.917′ S, 144° 58′ E. Marker is in Melbourne, Victoria. It is in East End. It is at the intersection of Swanston Street and Swanston Street and Collins Street, on the left when traveling south on Swanston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90/130 Swanston Street, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Oceania, Australasia, the Pacific Ocean, South Pacific, the Pacific Rim, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Town Hall Foundation Stone (here, next to this marker); The Athenaeum Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Melbourne Athenaeum (within shouting distance of this marker); Scots' Church and Assembly Hall (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dame Nellie Melba (1861-1931) (about 150 meters away); You Should Have Seen It (about 180 meters away); The Victorian Scottish Regiment (about 180 meters away); The Scots Church (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Also see . . . Melbourne Town Hall history.
Construction of the first town hall, a modest brick building, began in 1850, but a labour shortage brought about by gold discoveries in 1851 delayed completion until 1854. This building was demolished in the mid-1860s.(Submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria.)
On 29 November 1867 the Duke of Edinburgh laid the foundation stone for a new town hall which was completed in 1870. The new building was officially opened by the Governor of Victoria on 9 August 1870.
The tower was named Prince Alfred s Tower after the Duke of Edinburgh who, on his second visit to Melbourne in 1869, laid a capital on one of the columns of the town hall clock tower. The Duke was the first official guest in the soon-to-be-completed town hall.
The portico on the Swanston Street frontage of the building was added in 1887.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. This page has been viewed 11 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. 3. submitted on April 7, 2026. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


