Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Rangers of Austin's Colony

 
 
The Rangers of Austin's Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 2, 2010
1. The Rangers of Austin's Colony Marker
Inscription.  By March 1822, Stephen F. Austin had attracted about 150 colonists to Texas. The pioneers faced many hardships, including concern for their protection form Indians along the Colorado and Brazos rivers. In December of that year, Trespalacios, the Mexican governor, divided the colony into two districts, each having an alcalde to preside over matters of local administration and a captain to handle protection of the colonists.

In 1823, after several Indian attacks on members of Austin's colony, Captain Robert Kuykendall and Alcalde John Tumlinson of the Colorado District requested permission from Tresplacios to raise a company to protect the colonists. Ten men were recruited to serve under the command of Moses Morrison.

When Stephen F. Austin returned from Mexico City in August 1823, he found the colony still plagued by Indian disturbances and announced that he would employ ten additional men, at his own expense, to serve as "Rangers" for the common defense.

Although the law enforcement group known as the Texas Rangers was not formally organized until 1835, the "Rangers" of Austin's Colony are the earliest recorded
Rangers of Austin's Colony Marker location. image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 2, 2010
2. Rangers of Austin's Colony Marker location.
Click or scan to see
this page online
force of this type raised in Texas and served as a model for the later formation of the Texas Rangers.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4199.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1822.
 
Location. 29° 42.33′ N, 96° 32.396′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Spring Street, on the right when traveling west. On south side of courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tumlinson Family (here, next to this marker); Stafford-Miller House (a few steps from this marker); Colorado County, 1837, and Robert "Three-Legged Willie" Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stafford Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); Colorado County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Colorado County (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29767

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021