Blue Island in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Paul T. & Caryl Klenk House
12914 Elm Street
| | Built 1926 | |
Paul T. Klenks family came to Blue Island in the 1870s and owned a dry goods store on Western Avenue. He continued working in Blue Island as the city attorney (1917-18), and the mayor (1921-1929), his tenure marked the establishment of the citys first zoning code. In the early 1920s, Klenk became the owner of Mount Greenwood Cemetery. Previous to his service as mayor, Klenk was an assistant attorney general for the state of Illinois and drew up the charter for the village of Robbins when it became a village in 1917.
Gilbert Sr. and Lorraine Roll purchased the house in the early 1940s. The Roll family came to Blue Island in the 1850s and operated a grist and flour mill on the Calumet River, later were in the coal and ice, and finally lumber businesses. Gilbert Roll Sr. served on the board for Blue Island Community High School and was active in the Blue Island Lions Club.
Founded 1835
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 41° 39.504′ N, 87° 41.178′ W. Marker is on Blue Island, Illinois, in Cook County. It is on Elm Street south of Union Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12914 Elm Street, Blue Island IL 60406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Chicago and in the Calumet Region. It is also in the American Midwest. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Viceroyalty of New France, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Buenger/Nelson House (a few steps from this marker); The William Seyfarth House (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert & Alice Roche House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The William Schreiber House (about 500 feet away); The Robert Seyfarth House (about 500 feet away); Albert and Emma Schmidt House (about 500 feet away); Conrad & Matilda Kich House (about 700 feet away); Myrtle Albee House, 1878 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blue Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2026, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois. This page has been viewed 14 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2026, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.

