Hartland in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
[ front ]
Proprietors from Hartford, those whose names appeared on the tax lists of 1720, were originally given the western land grants called Hart(ford)land, now known as the Town of Hartland. The first permanent settler in this area was Thomas Giddings, who came here from Lyme, June 12, 1754. The town was incorporated in 1761 and grew rapidly in population. Only a few short years thereafter, 359 troops were raised for Revolutionary War service in the Continental Army.
The streams on the East and West Mountains were sources of water power and the "Hollow" was fertile bottom land. By 1800 the population reached 1,318. Much of the land had been cleared. Saw mills, grist mills, tanneries, and shops were operating. In 1836 John Ward and Sons began a calico mill and print works, the largest industry ever to be operated within the borders of Hartland.
[ back ]
The sunsets drew the settlers' eyes to the Western Lands. Many families left for Ohio, where their capacity for work, evidenced by the numerous stone walls in Hartland, would be better rewarded in the deep black soils. Titus Hayes with a group of friends
The abandoned farms soon grew to brush and sprout. Blueberries grew everywhere and they formed an important part of the cash crop of local farmers into the 1940's. Many farms were bought up by the State of Connecticut or agents of the Metropolitan District Commission in the 1930's. These collectively own about three-fourths of the town today. Again forested, with its fertile low land beneath the waters of the Barkhamsted Reservoir, Hartland typifies early rural New England.
Erected by the Town of Hartland
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1981 by the Town of Hartland, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1905.
Location. 41° 59.859′ N, 72° 54.432′ W. Marker is in Hartland, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is on South Road (Connecticut Route 179) 0.1 miles south of Walnut Hill Road, on the right when traveling north. Located in front of Hartland Town Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 South Road, East Hartland CT 06027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Sgt. Albert Elson (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Second First Congregational Church Meetinghouse (approx. 5.1 miles away); Granville Citizens Park (approx. 5.3 miles away in Massachusetts); Granville Veterans Monument (approx. 5.3 miles away in Massachusetts); Civilian Conservation Corps Fire Ponds (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Store at West Granville (approx. 5.8 miles away in Massachusetts); Barkhamsted (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hollow Church Bell (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Hartland, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,083 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.