Park Ridge in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built about 1800 by John Ackerson and son Garret, this stone house stands on land purchased in 1759. The property was developed during a century of family ownership. A general store was built opposite the house site in 1777 and successive generations built a distillery and a woolen mill beside the Pascack Brook. In 1857 the homestead was sold to Levi Gurnee who also operated the general store for forty years.
Erected 1981 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 101.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 41° 2.238′ N, 74° 2.452′ W. Marker is in Park Ridge, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Pascack Road and Lakeview Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 142 Pascack Road, Park Ridge NJ 07656, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Block House (a few steps from this marker); Pascack Historical Society Museum (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pascack Reformed Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Octagon House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wortendyke Dutch Barn (approx. 0.6 miles away); Atkins Glen (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dutch of Bergen County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Between Two Brooks The Wortendyke Barn (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Park Ridge.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,135 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.