Kalida in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Putnam County Government Seat / Court Houses
Side A: First Putnam County Government Seat
February 19, 1829, an appointed Ohio Legislative Commission granted 160 acres of the southwest quarter of Section 5, Town 1 south, range 6 east for a government seat to Commissioners Thomas Gray, William Priddy, and Samuel Myers, Sr.
May 5, 1834, at the Abraham Sarber home, William Cochran, Henry Morris, and Silas McClish became associate judges; Daniel W. Gray, clerk; Amos Evans, prosecuting attorney; Abraham Sarber, town director; Ferdinand C. Fitch, surveyor; Samuel Myers, Sr., John Cochran, Isaac Owens, A.E. Martin, James Nichols, Daniel W. Gray, school examiners.
Moses Lee bought the first lot in Kalida on June 24, 1834. Sheldon Guthrie built the first frame house where the first store was established.
See Other Side
Side B: First Putnam County Court Houses
In 1834, Surveyor Ferdinand C. Fitch, Daniel Ridenour, Henry Myers, and Samuel Myers, Sr., platted Kalida “the Beautiful” at the confluence of Plum and Sugar creeks.
Sale of an additional 160 acres purchased by Putnam County Commissioners paid for construction
In 1839, a brick Court House was built on Inlot 69 at 125 East Main Street, Kalida. Also, a brick jail was constructed on lots 149-150 at 202 East North Street, Kalida.
December 18, 1864, the brick Court House burned beyond repair. A 485 majority vote on October 9, 1866, made Ottawa the county seat.
See Other Side
Erected by Putnam County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Government & Politics • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 58.856′ N, 84° 12.03′ W. Marker is in Kalida, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street. Marker is at the Putnam County Historical Society, located in the former Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 E Main Street, Kalida OH 45853, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Artist Emerson Burkhart (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Samuel Myers, Sr., Grist Mill 1834-1860 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Home-In-The-Wilderness 1821-1870 Fort Jennings (approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 7.9 miles away); Truro Cemetery (approx. 8 miles away); Native Americans in Ottawa (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Putnam County Historical Society. (Submitted on April 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Early History of Kalida. (Submitted on April 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Putnam County, Ohio. (Submitted on April 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.