Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In May 1823 the first official Texas Ranger Company was organized to protect settlers from Indian attacks. John Tumlinson was killed in such an attack by Waco Indians in July of that year while en route to San Antonio to buy gunpowder for his militia.
Elizabeth Tumlinson was granted a league of land in a desirable location in the center of the Colorado District in August 1824. She and her children remained in Austin's Colony. John J. Tumlinson, Jr., became a Texas Ranger Captain in 1832 and was the first of many of his descendants to serve the Rangers. His brother
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission, sponsored by descendants of John Jackson and Elizabeth Plemmons Tumlinson. (Marker Number 15368.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1823.
Location. 29° 42.33′ N, 96° 32.393′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Spring Street, on the right when traveling west. On south side of courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rangers of Austin's Colony (here, next to this marker); Stafford-Miller House (a few steps from this marker); Colorado County, 1837, and Robert "Three-Legged Willie" Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stafford Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); Colorado County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Colorado County (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. Along the frame of the marker is inscribed, "Researched by James G. Hopkins." An additional, smaller marker attached below the main marker reads, "Marker sponsored by descendants of John Jackson and Elizabeth Plemmons Tumlinson, many of whom are members of "Descendants of Austin's Old Three Hundred." "
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,695 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on April 13, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.