Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Logan’s 15th A.C. Line
June 25, 26, 1864. These troops being designated to assault Confederate forces on Kennesaw Spur, moved to this sector & were aligned astride the Burnt Hickory rd. at this point.
June 27. Walcutt’s brigade (Harrow’s div.) N. of rd.; G.A. Smith’s astride the rd., & Lightburn’s S. of it (M. L. Smith’s div.), moved E. toward Kennesaw Spur where the attack fell upon Gen. S.G. French’s div., (Loring’s A.C.), [CS] & the right of Hardee’s A.C. [CS] just S. of it.
This assault failed to break the Confederate line; a similar one, at Cheatham Hill, 2.5 mi. S., was also devoid of results -- the 2 engagements known as the Battle of Kennesaw Mtn.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 2006.
Location. 33° 57.809′ N, 84° 35.713′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Burnt Hickory Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kennesaw Battlefield (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); US Regulars Monument (about 500 feet away); Assault on Pigeon Hill (about 500 feet away); Kennesaw Spur (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. J. E. Johnston’s Headquarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gen. O. O. Howard’s Headquarters (approx. one mile away); War Comes To Kennesaw (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . Kennesaw Mountain. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on April 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,315 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.