Colebrook in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Notable structures from the past crowd about this marker. Northward, on the left is the Samuel Rockwell House (1767); below it is the Colebrook Store (1812), a Greek revival gem and a federally registered historic building.
[ back ]
To the left stands the combined Historical Society quarters and Town Hall (1816), built as the Colebrook
The Town's population peaked just before the Civil War. So did its commercial importance, which was marked by mills, a scythe factory, tanneries, and woolen and wooden-ware works. Today its cool, airy climate and rural quiet each year attract a sizeable summer colony.
Erected by the Town of Colebrook
The Colebrook Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1980 by the Town of Colebrook, Colebrook Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 59.369′ N, 73° 5.751′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colebrook CT 06021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colebrook Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Hale Barn and Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Rock School (approx. 1.4 miles away); M110A2 Howitzer S/P (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Honor of Lambert Hitchcock (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lambert Hitchcock (approx. 4.4 miles away); Riverton (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Riverton (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colebrook.
Also see . . .
1. Colebrook, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Colebrook Historical Society. (Submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.