Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trinidad in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Trinity River

 
 
The Trinity River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, March 13, 2010
1. The Trinity River Marker
Inscription.  Three main tributaries - the West, Elm, and East forks - feed the Trinity from headwaters in North Texas. Discovery of prehistoric Malakoff Man carved stone heads near this site in the 20th century revealed that humans inhabited the Trinity valley thousands of years ago. Indian villages dotted the river banks when European exploration began. French explorer Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle called this waterway the River of Canoes in 1687. Spaniard Alonso de Leon is credited with first using the name "Trinity" in 1690.

The fertile Trinity floodplain drew Anglo-American settlers to this area during the Republic of Texas. Buffalo, first Henderson County Seat, was founded a few miles upstream at a ferry crossing. Navigation of the Trinity has been proposed in a number of ambitious plans since the 1850s. Steamboats plied the river carrying cotton, cattle, and lumber to Galveston and other Gulf of Mexico ports until the 1870s. Arrival of the railroad ended the era of riverboat trade.

Founded in 1881 on the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad, also known as the Cotton Belt, the town of Trinidad had a pump station to draw water for the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
boilers of steam locomotives. A ferry crossed the Trinity here until a bridge was erected in 1900.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10379.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1687.
 
Location. 32° 8.844′ N, 96° 5.659′ W. Marker is in Trinidad, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on State Highway 31 west of Farm to Market Road 764 (State Highway 274), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trinidad TX 75163, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Malakoff Man (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); William Richardson (approx. 12.4 miles away).
 
Site of Malakoff Man and Trinity River Markers. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, March 13, 2010
2. Site of Malakoff Man and Trinity River Markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,564 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30029

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024