Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmville in Prince Edward County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of the Randolph House

 
 
Site of the Randolph House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, April 18, 2010
1. Site of the Randolph House Marker
Inscription.  Here stood the hotel where General U.S. Grant made his headquarters April 7, 1865, and opened correspondence with General R.E. Lee which terminated in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House two days later. From the porch of the Randolph House Grant reviewed segments of his army - the last wartime review. The hotel was erected in 1859, and included Morton's Tavern built in 1798. The hotel collapsed during restoration in 1964.

This marker was erected by Joseph E. Wood, last proprietor of the Randolph House.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 7, 1996.
 
Location. 37° 18.226′ N, 78° 23.476′ W. Marker is in Farmville, Virginia, in Prince Edward County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 45) and East Second Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Located in the parking lot for the Randolph Shops. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmville VA 23901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. High Bridge Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rich in History (about 300 feet away); The Crallé Family (about 300 feet away); The Light of Reconciliation / Now, Therefore Be It Resolved, (about 800 feet away); Farmville (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Farmville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmville.
 
Site of the Randolph House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, April 18, 2010
2. Site of the Randolph House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,751 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on April 30, 2010. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30252

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024