Wainfleet in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Vivian Flour Mill circa 1841
circa 1841
Plaque donated by Kirkpatrick & O'Brine Monuments
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
Location. 42° 55.29′ N, 79° 22.679′ W. Marker is in Wainfleet, Ontario, in Niagara Region. It can be reached from Side Road 20, on the right when traveling north. The marker is along the west fence, 70 metres north of parking area, within Marshville Heritage Village, a free-to-visit collection of 20+ historic buildings. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32081 Side Rd 20, Wainfleet ON L0S 1V0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe and in Niagara Canada. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Jones & Palcso Wagonmaker Blacksmith Shop circa 1865 (a few steps from this marker); Dean Sawmill circa 1883 (a few steps from this marker); Neff-Morgan Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Neff Morgan Cabin circa 1841 (within shouting distance of this marker); S.S. No. 11 circa 1866 (within shouting distance of this marker); This Bell Originally Housed In The Bell Tower Of Emmanuel United Church At Wellandport (within shouting distance of this marker); Canby Implement Shed circa 1898 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Patron's Of Industry Hall circa 1893 (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wainfleet.
Regarding Vivian Flour Mill circa 1841. The plaque describes a building that no longer exists, and never existed at this location. The four-storey Vivian Mill was built around 1842 by John Vivian (1810-1870, wife Sarah) in Burford Gore (now Oakland, near Brantford; 80 km west of here). In 1991, the mill was disassembled and transported to a location near here, in preparation to add
it to Marshville Heritage Village. But, the mill was destroyed by fire while in storage. This plaque (prepared in advance in anticipation of the mill's move), is the only remnant of the mill's planned erection here.
Also see . . . Some Vivians in Ontario (by Gary A. Vivian).
- The life of miller John Vivian (1810-1870) is on pages 7-9.
- A photo of the John Vivian's 1842 mill is on page 8.
(Submitted on June 16, 2026, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2026. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2026, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario. This page has been viewed 17 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2026, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario.


