Metro Center in Springfield in Hampden County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Meeting House
Just east of here stood the first meeting house built in 1645. Past this point ran Meeting House Lane, which led to the first training field and burying ground on the bank of the Greate River.
Erected 1936 by Mercy Warren Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1645.
Location. 42° 6.071′ N, 72° 35.3′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Massachusetts, in Hampden County. It is in Metro Center. It is on Elm Street. The marker is affixed to a rock in the edge of a small park near city hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Elm St, Springfield MA 01103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Massachusetts’ Knowledge Corridor and in Pioneer Valley. It is also in the American Northeast and in New England. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Here stood the Parsons Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Springfield Soldiers and Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Miles Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Old First Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old First Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Hampden County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mass Mutual Building (about 400 feet away); Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. For more detail on Old First Church and prior structures. The first meeting house was built by Lieut. Thomas Cooper, a carpenter by trade.
Also see . . .
1. History of Springfield, Mass (1636-1886), pub. 1888, pg. 75.
It was in February, 1643, that the contract was made in open town-meeting for the building of the first Springfield meeting-house. Each inhabitant was to furnish twenty-eight days' work, "when he shall be required by him who shall undertake ye buildinge of it." No inhabitant could be forced to work more than six consecutive days. Thomas Cooper contracted with the town for the work, and it was satisfactorily performed. The building was 40 X 23 feet in size, "9 foote betwixt joynts, double studded," and had two large windows on either side, and a smaller window at each end....(Submitted on June 30, 2026, by G.W.Bartlett of Hingham, Massachusetts.)
2. Thomas Cooper (1583-1675) - Find-a-Grave. Thomas Cooper was contracted to build Springfield's first meeting house.
Carpenter who came to Massachusetts Bay in 1635 on the "Christian." First settled in Windsor; moved to Springfield by 1642/3, resided there 35 years until he was killed by the Indians in 1675 Oct 5 at Mill River.(Submitted on June 30, 2026, by G.W.Bartlett of Hingham, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2026. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2017, by Marc Belanger of Reno, Nevada. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on June 29, 2026, by G.W.Bartlett of Hingham, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on September 9, 2017, by Marc Belanger of Reno, Nevada. 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2026, by G.W.Bartlett of Hingham, Massachusetts. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.


