Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Welcome to the Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area
About Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area
Lake Greenwood became a part of the South Carolina State Park System in April 1938. the land for the park was donated by Greenwood County. Originally the park consisted of 1,114 acres. Later the state and county traded some areas so that the park would have additional water frontage for development. The park currently has a total of 914 acres. The Civilian Conservation Corps, a public work program set up in the midst of the 1930's depression, accomplished most of the initial construction of the park. Structures built by the CCC include the granite retaining wall and entrance wall, the Superintendent's residence, a ranger's residence, shelter # 1 and the bathhouse. Remains of the original CCC camp are located across Hwy 702 from the main entrance to the park.
South Carolina State Park Mission
To encourage people to discover South Carolina's state parks by providing resource=based recreational and educational opportunities that emphasize the conservation, protection and interpretation of the state's natural and cultural resources.
To provide outdoor recreational activities for the citizens of South Carolina, while being stewards of the land. We shall also be leaders in the community, providing increased visitor services, and being a catalyst for increased quality of life on a local and regional basis.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1938.
Location. 34° 11.667′ N, 81° 57.033′ W. Marker is in Ninety Six, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is on State Park Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ninety Six SC 29666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Greenwood (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Priorities of Protection (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ninety Six Colored School (approx. 3.9 miles away); M-60 A3 Main Battle Tank (approx. 4.3 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Ninety Six (approx. 4.4 miles away); Preston Brooks Dinner (approx. 4.4 miles away); Southern Railway DepotNinety Six National Historic Site (approx. 4.6 miles away); Patriot Soldier (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ninety Six.
Also see . . .
1. Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area. Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area is a state park located near the town of Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina. (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Civilian Conservation Corps. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program for unemployed young men age 18-24, providing unskilled manual labor related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural areas of the United States from 1933 to 1942. (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), 1933-1941. In 1932, when the American public voted President Herbert Hoover out of office, they were searching for an end to the economic chaos and unemployment that had gripped the nation for two years. (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. WGBH American Experience: The Civilian Conservation Corps. One of the most popular New (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.