Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Meigs County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Morgan's Raid Route / Chester Village Commons

 
 
Morgan's Raid Route Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
1. Morgan's Raid Route Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Side A: Morgan's Raid Route
General John Hunt Morgan of Kentucky led a force of Confederate calvarymen into Meigs County during a forty-six-day raid north of the Ohio River. The advance forces burned Benjamin Knight's carding mill and sawmill, the Shade River Bridge, and pillaged local businesses in Chester on July 18, 1863, while waiting for the rest of the column to catch up. This two-hour halt delayed General Morgan's arrival at the ford at Buffington Island until after dark, allowing Union troops to arrive before he could make his escape. General Morgan surrendered eight days later near West Point in Columbiana County, the northernmost point ever reached by Confederate forces during the Civil War.

Side B: Chester Village Commons
Overlooking the village commons here in Chester is Meigs County's first courthouse, built in 1823 and one of only three extant Federal-style courthouse structures in Ohio. The courthouse was vacated in 1841 when the county seat was moved to Pomeroy. Adjacent to the former courthouse is the three-story Meigs County High School and Teachers Institute build in 1839, complete with
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a bell and cupola. The Institute was built as a school of higher learning for all Meigs Countians and thus was built on public land next to the courthouse. Both buildings are listed on the National Register for [sic - of] Historic Places.
 
Erected 1997 by Meigs County Historical Society, Ohio Travel and Tourism, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-53.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1800.
 
Location. 39° 5.269′ N, 81° 55.316′ W. Marker is in Chester, Ohio, in Meigs County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 248 and Scout Camp Road (Local Route 112), on the left when traveling east on State Route 248. Marker is adjacent to the fire station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester OH 45720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chester (here, next to this marker); Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9053 Memorial (here, next to this marker); Never Forget Garden (a few steps from this marker); Chester Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker);
Chester Village Commons Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
2. Chester Village Commons Marker (Side B)
Chester Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Ambrose Bierce (approx. 3.2 miles away); Morgan’s Raid Route (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  Morgan's Raid. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Morgan's Raid Route / Chester Village Commons Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
3. Morgan's Raid Route / Chester Village Commons Marker
Courthouse on left and school on right.
Meigs County High School & Teachers Institute, c.1839 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
4. Meigs County High School & Teachers Institute, c.1839
Original Meigs County Courthouse, c.1823 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
5. Original Meigs County Courthouse, c.1823
Ohio's Oldest Standing Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2010
6. Ohio's Oldest Standing Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,249 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30456

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024