Near Millboro in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-24.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, French and Indian.
Location. 38° 7.467′ N, 79° 37.25′ W. Marker is near Millboro, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of Indian Draft (County Route 625) and Fort Lewis Road, on the left when traveling south on Indian Draft. It is at the turnoff for Fort Lewis Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 603 Old Plantation Way, Millboro VA 24460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Windy Cove Presbyterian Church (approx. 8˝ miles away); T. C. Walker School (approx. 8.8 miles away); Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain (approx. 9.4 miles away); The Virginia Springs Resorts (approx. 9.4 miles away); Life at the Tollhouse (approx. 9.4 miles away); The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835 (approx. 9.4 miles away); Camp Mont Shenandoah (approx. 9˝ miles away); Bath County / Rockbridge County (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Frontier History. “The richness and sheer beauty of the land led Colonel Charles Lewis to settle here more than two centuries ago. In 1750 he built a small stockade to protect the southern pass of Shenandoah Mountain from Indian raids. Col. Lewis went on to die a hero's death fighting the Shawnee, allies of the British, in the 1774 Battle of Point Pleasant, now widely regarded as the first conflict of the American Revolution. His vast 3,200 acre mountain farm, once known as ‘Fort Lewis Plantation,’ has remained relatively unchanged over its 200 year history. ” (Submitted on May 8, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,567 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Lewis manor house and lodge grounds. • Can you help?