Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Armuchee in Floyd County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Farmer’s Bridge Armuchee Creek

 
 
Farmer’s Bridge Armuchee Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 7, 2010
1. Farmer’s Bridge Armuchee Creek Marker
Inscription.  May 15, 1864. Monty’s Brigade of Garrard’s Cav. scouting toward Rome in advance of the infantry column, Davis’ div. (14th A.C.) [US], encountered Brig. Gen. L.S. Ross’ Texas brigade (Jackson’s Cav. div.) [CS] at Farmer’s Bridge.

Ross was driven to within 3 mi. of Rome, where he was supported by infantry and artillery. Minty, driven back to the bridge, returned to Lay’s Ferry, (near Resaca) May 16.

May 17. Davis’s div [US], enroute from Resaca, reached bridge at noon. Davis advanced toward Rome, 2 p.m. driving Ross’ Cav. back to DeSoto Hill, this side of the Oostanaula River.
 
Erected 1984 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 057-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1864.
 
Location. 34° 22.279′ N, 85° 10.369′ W. Marker is in Armuchee, Georgia, in Floyd County. Marker is on Martha Berry Highway (U.S. 27) 0 miles south of Little Texas Valley Road NW
Farmer’s Bridge Armuchee Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 7, 2010
2. Farmer’s Bridge Armuchee Creek Marker
Looking south on US 27 toward Rome, the modern bridge over Armuchee Creek can be seen just past the traffic light warning sign.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Armuchee GA 30105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Floyd Springs (approx. 4 miles away); Berry Schools' Old Mill (approx. 5.4 miles away); Berry College (approx. 5.6 miles away); Hermitage (approx. 6.1 miles away); Martha Berry’s Birthplace (approx. 6.3 miles away); Original Cabin (approx. 6˝ miles away); Chieftains (approx. 6˝ miles away); Major Ridge (approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text at this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,520 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30563

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 17, 2022