Jamestown in Stutsman County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Old Depot and School Gardens
In September of 1872, the Northern Pacific Railroad completed the construction of a rail line to the City of Jamestown from the east. In the early years, the rail service was essential for carrying passengers, freight and mail. In the early 1880s, the Northern Pacific Railroad constructed a Depot to serve the mighty flow of immigrants that came by rail to settle and work in Jamestown. From 1916 until about 1957, it was used by the Midland Continental Railroad. It was then used as a storage building until 1965, when it was donated and moved to the Frontier Village in Jamestown.
In 1917, a new Depot was constructed one block east of this site, directly south of the Civic Center. This three story Depot was 231 feet long, 38 feet wide and was constructed for a cost of roughly $100,000. In 1981, the Burlington Northern Railway demolished the building.
A School Garden once stood in the area of the current parking lot. This School Garden was cared for by the students of the Jamestown School System, to which they won national fame in 1919 by winning first prize in the Garden Contest in which 2,200 schools were contestants.
Erected by City of Jamestown, Stutsman County Memorial Museum, North Dakota Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, and Mary Young.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Immigration • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1872.
Location. 46° 54.558′ N, 98° 42.502′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Dakota, in Stutsman County. It is on 1st Avenue North (U.S. 52/281) just south of 2nd Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown ND 58401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Dakota’s Drift Prairie. It is also in the American Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Freight House, Round House and Lookout Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Gazebo Park and the Presidential Visit in a Private Railroad Car (within shouting distance of this marker); A New Town Site on the NP Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Seiler Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stutsman County World War Memorial (about 300 feet away); In Celebration of the Two Hundredth Year Birthday of the United States of America, 1976 (about 300 feet away); The Hansen Arts Park (about 600 feet away); Elizabeth White (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . .
1. Midland Continental Railroad (Wikipedia).
Excerpt: The Midland Continental Railroad (reporting mark MICO) is a defunct shortline railroad which operated in the U.S. state of North Dakota between 1906 and 1966. The railroad was envisioned as a trunk line running from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to Galveston, Texas. Financing problems led to the completion of only two segments totaling 77 miles.(Submitted on July 14, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)In 1916, the MICO managed a short half-mile extension from its junction with the NP east of Jamestown, to a new downtown terminus nearer to the NP's main line station. A roundhouse, passenger station and freight depot were built there, and were ready by 1917. The company headquarters were established here. The railroad's subsequent history was primarily as a short line serving local agriculture and its service industries. Its major claim to fame was that the singer Peggy Lee, who was born in 1920 [in Jamestown], had a father who was an employee of the MICO from 1916 to 1944.
2. The Northern Pacific Depot in Jamestown (facebook).
On July 26, 1917, the new Northern Pacific Depot opened in Jamestown. An evening dedication was held with Mayor H.C. Flint presiding. The new brick structure was placed about one block east of the old depot and cost around $100,000 to build. Around 2,000 were in attendance for the celebration. Mayor Flint gave the brief address, noting he was not sure if it was a funeral for the old station or a christening of the new. The old structure was later moved to a hill overlooking Jamestown on June 5, 1963. Today, it can be found at the Frontier Village. The photo is from a postcard marked 1919.(Submitted on July 14, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 13 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 14, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.




