Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East End in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia — Oceania
 

Former Independent Church

 
 
Former Independent Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Dean Barton-Ancliffe, June 16, 2026
1. Former Independent Church Marker
Inscription.
This is the site of Melbourne's earliest permanent church built in 1839 for the Independent or Congregational Church, which earlier had held services in John Pascoe Fawkner's Tavern. The present polychrome brick church was designed by Reed and Barnes, Architects, and built in 1866/7 by John Young. The robust external design is complemented by the splendour of its interior.

 
Erected by City of Melbourne and State Bank Victoria.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraReligion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 37° 48.866′ S, 144° 58.146′ E. Marker is in Melbourne, Victoria. It is in East End. It is at the intersection of Russell Street and Collins Street, on the left when traveling south on Russell Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3004, Australia. Touch for directions.

Regionally, it is in Oceania, Australasia, the Pacific Ocean, South Pacific, the Pacific Rim, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
was once a British colony.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Scots Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Victorian Scottish Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); Dame Nellie Melba (1861-1931) (within shouting distance of this marker); Scots' Church and Assembly Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Russell Street Telephone Exchange & Post Office (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Athenaeum Building (about 180 meters away); The Melbourne Athenaeum (about 180 meters away); Bon Scott (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
 
Also see . . .  The History of St Michaels. The original chapel was built in 1839 and was the first permanent building constructed expressly as a church in the Port Phillip Settlement. The church was founded by Congregationalists (also known as Independents). The chapel served the townsfolk and the farming community in the vicinity. The first chapel was demolished in 1866 to make way for the church building that you see today. (Submitted on July 14, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria.) 
 
Former Independent Church Marker to the left of the door image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Dean Barton-Ancliffe, June 16, 2026
2. Former Independent Church Marker to the left of the door
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2026, by Dean Barton-Ancliffe of Rowville, Victoria. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
m=305722

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2026