Saint Stephens in Washington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Stephens Courthouse and Masonic Lodge
Washington County
In 1848, Washington County designated the town of "new" St. Stephens as the county seat of government. On November 23, 1853, the Alabama Legislative Act 243 authorized the location and construction of the courthouse at "Old Hazards Field," a 10-acre lot owned by John B. Hazard. In December 1853, the county awarded the building contract to Levin Jefferson Wilson, who also constructed the St. Stephens Methodist Church located just north of the courthouse between the junction of County Road 34 and Old St. Stephens Road. St. Stephens became the 7th seat of government for Alabama's earliest county. The courthouse served as the primary governmental and political facility from 1854 until the county seat relocated to Chatom in 1907. Shortly after the building was completed, the courthouse became the meeting place for the newly formed St. Stephens Masonic Lodge #81, which was granted its charter in December 1854.
Reverse Side
The Masonic Lodge held its first meeting in January 1855. During the Civil War, L. J. Wilson sponsored a Confederate Infantry Company, known as Wilson's Guards in his honor. The company recruited from December 1861 to February 1862 and mustered at the courthouse. Wilson's Guards would later fight as Company A of the 32nd Alabama Infantry Regiment. The building features a rectangular floor plan and housed county offices on the first floor, while the second floor was used jointly as a courtroom and Masonic Hall. Since its construction, the building has retained much of its original form with few alterations. After the county seat moved to Chatom in 1907, the county sold the building to the St. Stephens Mason Lodge #81 in 1910. Today, the St. Stephens courthouse at "new St. Stephens is the oldest surviving courthouse representing the county's earliest political history and one of only two extant dual-purpose courthouse and Masonic Lodges in Alabama, the other being the Monroe County Courthouse located at Perdue Hill.
Erected 2026 by Washington County Historical Society and Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Agriculture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 31° 32.391′ N, 88° 3.269′ W. Marker is in Saint Stephens, Alabama, in Washington County. It is at the intersection of Saint Stephens Avenue and Howell Road, on the right when traveling north on Saint Stephens Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19250 St Stephens Ave, Saint Stephens AL 36569, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Alabama’s Mobile Bay. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Deep South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 / St. Stephens Lodge (here, next to this marker); The St. Stephens Historical Commission (approx. 1½ miles away); St. Stephens (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of Old St. Stephens (approx. 1½ miles away); The Tombigbee Settlements (approx. 1.8 miles away); Bassetts Creek (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Taylor House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Upper Salt Works (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Stephens.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 9 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.



