Inglis in Riding Mountain West Municipality, Manitoba — Canadas Prairie Region (North America)
Elevator Five - The Paterson Elevator
Lιlιvateur numιro cinq - L'ιlιvateur Paterson
The Paterson Elevator was one of the four original elevators in the community of Inglis in 1922. Typical of thousands of Standard Plan elevators built on the prairies in the golden age of the elevator, the 1920s and 1930s. Although the exterior wood siding has been replaced, the interior structure and mechanical systems remain virtually intact. This elevator was in continuous operation for over 70 years until the closing of the CPR line in 1995. From the 1880s through today the basic structure of all Standard Plan elevators remained the same with some modernisation as electricity replaced diesel power and horse drawn wagons were replaced with trucks.
Outside, one modification is the addition of spouts leading from the head of the elevator over the agent's office, to the roadway. These were built to accommodate the grain companies' move away from reliance on the railroad to use of large grain trucks. The Paterson Elevator is also connected by a spout at the top and an auger in the floor to a large annex. The rectangular bin was used for additional storage of grain during peak periods of use.
L'elevateur Paterson est l'un des quatre elevateurs d'origine a avoir vu le jour dans is collectivite d'Inglis en 1922. C'est le type meme des elevateurs des Prairies construits au cours de l'age d'or de l'elevateur, soit entre les annees 1920 et 1930. Bien que le reveteent exterieur ait ete remplace, le structure interieure el les systemes mecaniques demeurent pratiquement intacts. Cet elevateur a fonctionne de facon continue pendant pus de 70 ans, jusqu'a la fermeture de la voie ferree du Canadian Pacifique en 1995. Des annees 1880 a nos jours, la structure de base de tous les elevateurs de collecte est demeuree la meme, si l'on fait exception des quelques modernisations apportees lorsque l'electricite s'est substituee a l'energie Diesel et que les voitures a cheval ont ete remplacees par des carnions.
A l'exteriur, on n'a apporte qu'une modification, soit l'ajout de goulottes allant de la tete de l'elevateur, situee au-dessus du bureau du gerant, jusqu'a la chaussee. Leur installation fait suite en fait a la volonte des compagnies cerealieres de moins dependre des compagnies ferroviaires et d'utiliser de gros carnion a grains. L'elevateur Paterson est aussi lie a une grande annexe grace a une goulotte qui part du haut de l'elevateur pour rejoindre une vis sans fin dans le plancher. La cellule rectangulaire servait d'entrepot supplementaire pour le grain au cours des penodes de pointe.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 50° 56.684′ N, 101° 14.949′ W. Marker is in Inglis, Manitoba, in Riding Mountain West Municipality. It is at the intersection of Railway Avenue and Anzac Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Railway Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 Railway Avenue, Inglis MB R0J 0X0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Manitoba’s Parkland Region. It is also in the Prairies. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 19 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Inglis Grain Elevators (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Inglis Grain Elevators (within shouting distance of this marker); The Reliance Grain Company - La Reliance Grain Company (within
shouting distance of this marker); History of the Town of Russell (approx. 18.5 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 9 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

