Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglasville in Douglas County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Douglas County

 
 
Douglas County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 29, 2010
1. Douglas County Marker
Inscription.  This county, created by Act of the Legislature October 17, 1870, is named for Stephen A. Douglas, the “Little Giant,” a Vermonter who was Congressman from Illinois 1843 to ‘47, Senator from ‘47 to ‘61, and Democratic candidate for President in 1860 on the ticket with Gov. Herschel V. Johnson, of Georgia, for Vice President. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff T.H. Sellman, Clerk of Superior Court A.L. Gorman, Ordinary Wm. Hindman, Tax Receiver Jno. M. James, Tax Collector M.D. Watkins, Treasurer C.P. Bower, Coroner S.W. Biggers and Surveyor John M. Hughey.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 048-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 17, 1841.
 
Location. 33° 45.018′ N, 84° 45.036′ W. Marker is in Douglasville, Georgia, in Douglas County. Marker is on West Broad Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(U.S. 78) 0 miles west of Bowden Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in front of The Old Douglas County Courthouse Museum, formerly the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6754 West Broad Street, Douglasville GA 30134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vansant Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarkdale Historic District (approx. 7.9 miles away); Coats & Clark Thread Mill (approx. 7.9 miles away); Clarkdale Mill Village Historic District (approx. 8 miles away); Site of the Campbell County Court House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 8.3 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglasville.
 
Douglas County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 29, 2010
2. Douglas County Marker
The Old Douglas County Courthouse Museum is in the background.
Douglas County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 29, 2010
3. Douglas County Marker
Looking east on W. Broad Street, US 78, in Douglasville
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30727

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024