Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Culpeper Baptist Church History
Photographed by Evan Dwyer, July 27, 2026
1. Culpeper Baptist Church History Marker
Inscription.
Culpeper Baptist Church History. . The Culpeper Baptist Church, originally known as Mount Poney Baptist Church, was founded in 1774 by David Thomas and Nathaniel Saunders. The Mount Poney Church got its name from its location on the side of Mount Poney, some two miles southeast of town. this congregation is one of the oldest Baptist churches in Virginia. John Leland served as the second pastor. He was a prominent advocate for religious liberty and was influential in the inclusion of that inalienable right in the U.S. Constitution. The Mount Poney Baptist Church moved to the northeastern part of town along the Old Brandy Road in 1833. In 1858 the congregation built on the corner of Davis and East Streets, on the site of the colonial jail where Baptist preachers were imprisoned in the 1760s-1770s for preaching without a license. A year later the church's enslaved members established the African Church and began holding services in the basement. This congregation reorganized as Antioch Baptist Church in 1867. The Mount Poney Church changed its name to Culpeper Baptist Church in 1873. During the 1940s, the congregation started a kindergarten and also spearheaded the establishment of the Culpeper Baptist Home for the Aged, now known as The Culpeper. In 1955 the church relocated to its current West Street location, adding the sanctuary in 1961.
The Culpeper Baptist Church, originally known as Mount Poney Baptist Church, was founded in 1774 by David Thomas and Nathaniel Saunders. The Mount Poney Church got its name from its location on the side of Mount Poney, some two miles southeast of town. this congregation is one of the oldest Baptist churches in Virginia. John Leland served as the second pastor. He was a prominent advocate for religious liberty and was influential in the inclusion of that inalienable right in the U.S. Constitution. The Mount Poney Baptist Church moved to the northeastern part of town along the Old Brandy Road in 1833. In 1858 the congregation built on the corner of Davis and East Streets, on the site of the colonial jail where Baptist preachers were imprisoned in the 1760s-1770s for preaching without a license. A year later the church's enslaved members established the African Church and began holding services in the basement. This congregation reorganized as Antioch Baptist Church in 1867. The Mount Poney Church changed its name to Culpeper Baptist Church in 1873. During the 1940s, the congregation started a kindergarten and also spearheaded
Click or scan to see this page online
the establishment of the Culpeper Baptist Home for the Aged, now known as The Culpeper. In 1955 the church relocated to its current West Street location, adding the sanctuary in 1961.
Location. 38° 28.31′ N, 77° 59.908′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. It is on West Street 0.1 miles south of Locust Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 S West St, Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Washington Metropolitan Area and in Northern Virginia. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original
Photographed by Evan Dwyer, July 27, 2026
2. Culpeper Baptist Church History Marker
The 1961 sanctuary is behind the marker on the hill.
Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Another marker is no longer nearby. A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been confirmed missing).
Regarding Culpeper Baptist Church History. Notably, the history of Mount Poney Church includes the name "Mount Poney" well before the Civil War - proving that mountain was not named for the Civil War-era pony carving sited on its heights, as was long local legend. There was at one time a marker/monument on the slope of Mount Pony, placed by the Association for the
Photographed by Evan Dwyer, October 25, 2025
3. Culpeper Baptist Church History
Exhibit in the Museum of Culpeper History about the Baptists in Culpeper. It contains photos of the Baptist Retirement Home/Home for the Aged/The Culpeper, as well as information on the Baptist Preachers.
Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) early in the 20th century, which marked the site of the original church. The mountain is privately owned and the circulation patterns have changed so that public roads no longer pass that marker. The marker/monument's continued existence is unknown.
Photographed by Evan Dwyer, 2026
4. Mount Pony
Recreational drone view of the mountain that gave its name to Mount Poney Church in 1774. The church was at the far right side of the mountain from this orientation.
Photographed by Evan Dwyer, July 27, 2026
5. Antioch Baptist Church
Just north of Culpeper Baptist Church (440' from the marker), on the same (west) side of West Street, is the current location of Antioch Church, which broke off from Mount Poney Church in 1859 and reorganized under the Antioch name in 1867. Antioch relocated from the east side of town to this area of West Street in 1886; Culpeper Baptist followed suit only in 1955, bringing the two churches once again into close proximity for the first time since 1867.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2026, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 6 times since then. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2026, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Information/Photos of the Mount Poney APVA Marker • Can you help?