The Presbyterian Church of Saint David
The property on which this Church stands was acquired by the Society of Methodists in 1793 for use as a burial ground. A church structure was built on part of the site in 1852 but was destroyed by fire in 1868. The present Church building was erected during 1868-69, and dedicated by the Methodists on November 7, 1869. The building became the Church home of The Presbyterian Church of Saint David on Sunday, April 5, 1925. The City of Halifax declared the building a Heritage Property on January 28, 1982.
Although many of the graves in the original cemetery now lie covered by the church buildings, the names of most of those affected by construction since 1869 are maintained in the Church records. Through the generosity of Mrs. C.B. Fergusson, this remaining portion of the cemetery was restored in 1982 to the Glory of God and in loving memory of Charles Bruce Fergusson (1911-1978), C.M., B.A., M.A., D.Phil., Provincial Archivist of Nova Scotia, 1956-1977.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 44° 38.676′ N, 63° 34.474′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Region. It is in Downtown Halifax. It can be reached from Grafton Street just south of Blowers Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is mounted on the southeast corner of the church, facing south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1544 Grafton Street, Halifax NS B3J 0J5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Maritimes and in Atlantic Canada. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, and Acadia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Philippe Aubert de Gaspι (fils) (within shouting distance of this marker); Edmund Burke (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax (about 120 meters away); William Alexander Henry (about 120 meters away); Pierre Maillard (about 120 meters away); St. Marys Basilica

Also see . . . The Presbyterian Church of Saint David: Our History.
(By Barry Cahill, Congregational Archivist) Excerpt: The Presbyterian Church of Saint David was born in 1925, when its parent, The Presbyterian Church in Canada, was in danger of disintegrating in the face of inter-denominational church union among Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists. None of the eight Presbyterian congregations in metropolitan Halifax voted to opt out of the new United Church of Canada, so those Presbyterians who did not wish to ebb and flow with the ecclesiastical tide found themselves within an emaciated Church and without a congregation or church building. The Presbyterian men and women who resisted union did so positively and constructively by first forming the Halifax chapter of the Presbyterian Church Association in 1924 and then establishing The Presbyterian Church, Halifax (incorporated, 1925).(Submitted on August 8, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)Soon afterwards, the Presbyterians leased and then purchased the former Grafton Street Methodist Church as a congregational home. Built in 1868-69, in the early English style of Trinity Methodist in Charlottetown, the building was designed by David Sterling, architect of Fort Massey Presbyterian (now United) Church in Halifax, and is a registered municipal heritage property. It stands over and in the midst of the Old Methodist Burying Ground of Halifax, one of the most sacred sites of Maritime Methodism.
In 1930 The Presbyterian Church, Halifax, was renamed in honour of the saintly King David I of Scotland, who reigned from 1124 to 1153. In 1970 The Presbyterian Church of Saint David hosted the 96th General Assembly of The Presbyterian Church in Canada, which had not convened in Halifax since 1910. In 1975 the Church celebrated its centenary and the Congregation its golden jubilee. Throughout its more than 75-year history, Saint Davids has been the first church of Presbyterianism in Halifax and has been parent to congregations in the city and beyond.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 7 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 8, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.







