Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dunnsville in Essex County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Lowry-Camp Byron

 
 
Fort Lowry-Camp Byron Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
1. Fort Lowry-Camp Byron Marker
Inscription.  Located two miles N.E. on Rappahannock River at Lowry’s Point was a Confederate eight gun “water battery” constructed in 1861. Here at Dunnsville was located Camp Byron, home of Company F (Essex Light Dragoons), Ninth Cavalry, C.S.A.; the company moved to Fort Lowry in October 1861 to assist in the fort’s defense and to conduct scouting missions.
 
Erected 1981. (Marker Number N-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1861.
 
Location. 37° 51.517′ N, 76° 49.399′ W. Marker is in Dunnsville, Virginia, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) and Johnville Road (Virginia Route 611), on the right when traveling east on Tidewater Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dunnsville VA 22454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rappahannock Industrial Academy (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Rappahannock Industrial Academy
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Angel Visit Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort Lowry (approx. 2.9 miles away); Thomas Washington Lynched (approx. 4 miles away); Tappahannock Tercentennial Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); USS Tappahannock AO-43 (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Manning House (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dunnsville.
 
Also see . . .  On the Road in Essex County - N-29 - Fort Lowry—Camp Byron. 2019 article by Zorine Shirley in the River Country News. Excerpt:
In 1861, in the midst of the Civil War, Dr. Richard S. Cauthorn of Essex County owned a 76 acre homestead he called “Byron Park.” The doctor gave up his practice, took up the cause of the Confederates, and on his farm established Camp Byron with a group of volunteers.
(Submitted on September 17, 2020.) 
 
Tidewater Trail facing east image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, December 6, 2009
2. Tidewater Trail facing east
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,902 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   2. submitted on December 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3081

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024