Chireno in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Halfway Inn
(Flournoy - Granberry House)
Photographed by Steve Gustafson, May 8, 2010
1. Halfway Inn Marker
Inscription.
Halfway Inn. (Flournoy - Granberry House). This two-story log dwelling was built on the El Camino Real about 1840 by Samuel Flournoy for his wife Minerva (Wadington) and their family who moved to Texas from Mississippi. They settled in the Chireno area, where they purchased 300 acres. An active member of the community, Flournoy was appointed as a Republic of Texas postmaster in 1843, and continued as postmaster as part of the United States Postal Service. This house served as the post office for a fifteen-mile radius, and was a popular halfway stop on the stagecoach route between Nacogdoches and San Augustine, Texas. The Flournoys. after acquiring an additional 500 acres, sold this property in 1852 and moved away. The property changed owners several times until 1917 when H.R. Granberry purchased the house; it remained in his family until 1981. This house was moved twelve miles east of Nacogdoches in 1984, but in 1988 was returned to the Flournoy homestead within one-quarter mile of its original location. This hewn-log residence is constructed of square notch logs two rooms wide and one room deep with a dogtrot, or central hall. The two-story house was restored through the efforts of local citizens. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
This two-story log dwelling was built on the El Camino Real about 1840 by Samuel Flournoy for his wife Minerva (Wadington) and their family who moved to Texas from Mississippi. They settled in the Chireno area, where they purchased 300 acres. An active member of the community, Flournoy was appointed as a Republic of Texas postmaster in 1843, and continued as postmaster as part of the United States Postal Service. This house served as the post office for a fifteen-mile radius, and was a popular halfway stop on the stagecoach route between Nacogdoches and San Augustine, Texas.
The Flournoys. after acquiring an additional 500 acres, sold this property in 1852 and moved away. The property changed owners several times until 1917 when H.R. Granberry purchased the house; it remained in his family until 1981. This house was moved twelve miles east of Nacogdoches in 1984, but in 1988 was returned to the Flournoy homestead within one-quarter mile of its original location.
This hewn-log residence is constructed of square notch logs two rooms wide and one room deep with a dogtrot, or central hall. The two-story house was restored
Click or scan to see this page online
through the efforts of local citizens.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9276.)
Location. 31° 30.51′ N, 94° 21.27′ W. Marker is in Chireno, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. It is on State Highway 21 half a mile west of Farm to Market Road 95, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chireno TX 75937, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Photographed by Jeff Leichsenring, December 2, 2025
7. Halfway Inn Marker
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2025. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,834 times since then and 189 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 7. submitted on December 3, 2025, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.