Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halifax in Halifax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

History of Halifax

 
 
History of Halifax Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
1. History of Halifax Marker
Inscription.  The town of Halifax has been the county seat of Halifax County since 1777. It is named for George Montague, the second Earl of Halifax, an English statesman. Previously this community had been called Banister, Houston, and Halifax Court House. Portions of Gen. Nathanael Greene's troops were here in Feb. 1781. George Washington was in the region on 4 June 1791. During the spring of 1827, John Randolph of Roanoke spoke here to a large gathering of people. The present courthouse is a Classical Revival structure built in 1839, constructed by Dabney Cosby, Sr., one of Thomas Jefferson's master builders. Union Gen. George Custer camped in the region in Apr. 1865.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number R-77.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable BuildingsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 4, 1791.
 
Location. 36° 45.937′ N, 78° 55.732′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Virginia, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 501) and Edmunds Boulevard (Virginia Route 349), on the left when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax VA 24558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halifax County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Eubank Booker, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Halifax County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Halifax Court House (about 300 feet away); Mary M. Bethune High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Green's Folly (approx. 1.7 miles away); Minister Who Married Lincoln (approx. 1.7 miles away); L.E. Coleman African American Museum (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
 
Also see . . .  The History of Halifax County
S Main St (facing north) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
2. S Main St (facing north)
. (Submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
 
S Main St (facing south) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
3. S Main St (facing south)
Halifax Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
4. Halifax Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,094 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30974

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024