Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McKenney in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Butterwood Chapel

 
 
Butterwood Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
1. Butterwood Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Butterwood Chapel, one of three Anglican chapels constructed in Dinwiddie County in the 18th century, was built by 1763 on or near this site. It probably was the first church built after the creation of Bath Parish in 1742. The Reverend Devereux Jarrett, a father of Methodism in Virginia, ministered to the congregation before the disestablishment of the Church of England in 1786. Capt. Henry D. Dickerson, C.S.A., revived the church after moving his family here to the Darvills community by 1865. William Randolph Atkinson designed and constructed the present frame building about 1866.
 
Erected 1996 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-303.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
 
Location. 37° 4.376′ N, 77° 51.619′ W. Marker is near McKenney, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of Darvills Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(Virginia Route 40) and Zilles Road (Virginia Route 642), on the right when traveling east on Darvills Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Kenney VA 23872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County (approx. 2 miles away); Darvills School (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Burning of White Oak Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Creation of Camp Pickett (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fort Pickett (approx. 6.2 miles away); Nottoway Training School (approx. 7.2 miles away); Birthplace of Roger Atkinson Pryor (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKenney.
 
Also see . . .
1. Butterwood United Methodist Church. National Park Service - Virginia Main Street Communities (Submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

2. Butterwood Chapel (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Darvills Rd & Zilles Rd (facing west) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
2. Darvills Rd & Zilles Rd (facing west)
Butterwood Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
3. Butterwood Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31054

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2023