Westfield in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Presbyterian Church in Westfield
The bell played an active part in the Revolution, being rung to warn the Patriots of the approach of the British. It was captured by the enemy and carried to Staten Island, but recovered after the war and now hangs in the belfry of the present church.
Erected 1935 by Westfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1728.
Location. 40° 39.188′ N, 74° 20.821′ W. Marker is in Westfield, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is on 140 Mountain Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westfield NJ 07090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downer Well Cap (within shouting distance of this marker); Meeting HouseWestfield Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Westfield (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Soldiers (about 400 feet away); Revolutionary Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Westfield (approx. Ό mile away); Gallows Hill (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westfield.
Also see . . . The Presbyterian Church in Westfield history. (Submitted on May 28, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 3. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4. submitted on May 24, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.