Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Polk Johnson Building

 
 
James Polk Johnson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 30, 2010
1. James Polk Johnson Building Marker
Inscription.  Built by Johnson City founder James Polk Johnson (1845-1885), this structure has housed a variety of businesses and served as a community gathering place. In addition to serving as a community hall, opera house, and meeting place for churches and community groups, the structure was occupied by such commercial enterprises as banks, general stores, hotels, restaurants, and business offices. When the Blanco County seat moved to Johnson City in 1890 this building became a temporary county courthouse and jail. Former President Lyndon Johnson maintained an office here for a short time.
 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2829.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicChurches & ReligionEntertainmentIndustry & CommerceLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #36 Lyndon B. Johnson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 30° 16.655′ N, 98° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
24.712′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of Nugent Avenue (State Highway 356) and Pecan Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Nugent Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E Pecan Avenue, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blanco County Courthouse: One Hundred Years of History (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Blanco County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blanco County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); Dr. James Odiorne (about 300 feet away); Withers & Spauldings (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
 
Regarding James Polk Johnson Building. The Johnson City Bank has been located in the building since 1944.
 
James Polk Johnson Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 30, 2010
2. James Polk Johnson Building and Marker
Looking south across Pecan Avenue.
James Polk Johnson Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 30, 2010
3. James Polk Johnson Building and Marker
Looking SE.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31126

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024