Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh

(Formerly St. Francis Borgia)

 
 
Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 26, 2004
1. Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh Marker
Inscription.  Sacred Heart Chapel was built about 1741 by Jesuit Priests on the property known as White Marsh. The priests turned their 2,000 acre bequest into a thriving plantation. During the 1780's the American clergy met several times at White Marsh, and here on May 18th, 1789, they nominated John Carroll to be the first American Bishop. In the 1800's Jesuit novices studied at White Marsh, including Pierre de Smet, misisonary to the Indians. On Pentacost, 1853, fire destroyed everything on the hill except the walls of the Chapel. The present reconstruction dates from 1956 and has been renovated many times. It is the oldest Catholic church in Prince George's County.
 
Erected 1978 by Prince George's County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraEducation. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1840.
 
Location. 38° 59.085′ N, 76° 43.169′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.6 miles west of Crain Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(Maryland Route 3), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie MD 20715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williams Plains (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie (approx. 1.3 miles away); Andrew Jackson (approx. 1.8 miles away); Belair Stable (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Stable Courtyard (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Belair Stud Farm (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Belair Stable (approx. 1.8 miles away); Melford and Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Additional keywords. Pierre J. De Smet
 
Sacred Heart Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 26, 2004
2. Sacred Heart Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,919 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on May 27, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31215

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024