Massachusetts Heights in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral Cornerstone
Dwight D. Eisenhower
President of the United States
His Eminence Michael
Archbishop of North and South America
on the thirtieth day of September
in the year of our beloved Lord
the nineteen hundred and fifty-sixth
Erected 1956 by Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Notable Events. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower series list.
Location. 38° 55.63′ N, 77° 4.243′ W. Marker is in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. It is in Massachusetts Heights. Marker is on 36th Street Northwest north of Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling north. The cornerstone marker is at the cathedral's main (36th Street) entrance on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2815 36th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bishop Aimilianos Laloussis (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop's Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Vladimir Millennial Bell Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herb Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); The National War Memorial Shrine of the Russian Orthodox Church of America (approx. 0.2 miles away); Russian Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Road to Fort Duquesne (approx. 0.2 miles away); Damage Alert! (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northwest Washington.
Also see . . . Saint Sophia Cathedral, Washington DC. ...This parish was established in 1904 by newly arrived Greek immigrants. After worshipping in rented or makeshift quarters, the community built its own church at 8th and L Sts., N.W., which was completed and dedicated in 1924, remaining there until moving to this site, which was purchased in 1943. Ground breaking and foundation stone laying occurred on September 25, 1951. The building, designed by architect Archie Protopapas of New York City was ready for occupancy on February 19, 1955. (Submitted on May 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Archie Protopapas, architect.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,506 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.