Farmland in Randolph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Farmland Downtown Historic District
Side - A
Farmland platted 1852 in Randolph County and listed as station on Indianapolis and Bellfontaine Railroad. Town incorporated 1867. Commerce based on agriculture and, by late 1880's, gas and oil production nearby. Responding to 1897 fire, community built six major buildings within two years of disaster.
Side - B
Historic district boundaries include parts of Main, Henry, and Williams streets, on original plat. Buildings were built circa 1867 - 1929 and are close to original condition. District demonstrates growth of railroad - based rural agricultural community. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1994.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Farmland History Book Committee of Historic Farmland U S A, Inc. (Marker Number 68.2005.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmland IN 47340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winchester Speedway (approx. 5.4 miles away); Smithfield (approx. 7.6 miles away); Amanda Way (approx. 7.7 miles away); World War I War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Dedicated to All Veterans (approx. 7.8 miles away); Organized Religion (approx. 7.8 miles away); Education (approx. 7.8 miles away); Randolph County History: 1818-2018 (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.