Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowdon in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks

 
 
Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 20, 2010
1. Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker
Inscription.  Bowdon is near the geographical center of the last land in Georgia owned by the Creek Nation and ceded to the U.S. This tract, approximately 550 sq. mi. in area, is 80 mi long and 10 mi. wide at its widest point.

When Carroll County was surveyed in 1827, it was discovered that all of some districts and parts of others were actually still in Creek Territory and still beyond the limits of the Treaties of Jan. 24 and March 31, 1826. An additional treaty, signed at the Creek Agency Nov. 15, 1827, ceded all remaining Creek lands lying in the chartered limits of the State of Georgia ~ Tract 141.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 022-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1869.
 
Location. 33° 32.279′ N, 85° 15.114′ W. Marker is in Bowdon, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on City Hall Avenue, 0 miles east
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Wood Alley, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in front of the Bowdon City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 136 City Hall Avenue, Bowdon GA 30108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. half a mile away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. half a mile away); First “REA” Substation in Carroll County (approx. 8˝ miles away); University of West Georgia (approx. 9.3 miles away); Carrollton (approx. 10.6 miles away); Six Industrial Giants (approx. 10.7 miles away); Dixie Street (approx. 10.7 miles away); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 20, 2010
2. Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker
Looking west on City Hall Avenue
Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, 20
3. Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks Marker
Looking east on City Hall Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,353 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31329

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024