Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Farmville in Prince Edward County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

History of Worsham

 
 
History of Worsham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 29, 2010
1. History of Worsham Marker
Inscription.  This site served as the county seat when Prince Edward County was founded in 1754. The original courthouse constructed soon thereafter was replaced in 1776. The last courthouse here was built in 1832. The former debtors' prison built in 1787 and the old county clerk's office erected in 1855 are the only public buildings still standing. On 7 June 1791 President George Washington stopped here on his southern tour of the country. In 1872 the county seat moved to Farmville and this community was renamed Worsham.
 
Erected 2006 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-65.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNotable PlacesPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 7, 1791.
 
Location. 37° 13.766′ N, 78° 26.552′ W. Marker is near Farmville, Virginia, in Prince Edward County. Marker is at the intersection of Farmville Road (U.S. 15) and Worsham Road (County Route
US Rt 15 (facing north) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 29, 2010
2. US Rt 15 (facing north)
Click or scan to see
this page online
665), on the right when traveling north on Farmville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmville VA 23901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Campaign of 1781 (here, next to this marker); Providence (a few steps from this marker); Randolph-Macon Medical School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Slate Hill Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Beneficial Benevolent Society of the Loving Sisters and Brothers of Hampden County (approx. one mile away); Kingsville (approx. 1.1 miles away); French's Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Birthplace (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmville.
 
Also see . . .  Old Prince Edward County Clerk's Office. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 31, 2010.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31342

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 30, 2022